Reference code(s): LMA/4354
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CLAPTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.5 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
Downs Park Road Church in Lower Clapton was registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1872. It was situated at the corner of Cricketfield Road. Attendance in 1886 was 111 in the morning and 60 in the evening. By 1903 attendance was 114 in the morning and 143 in the morning. The church was closed but reopened as Lower Clapton Congregational church in 1936, and was later used by the New Testament Church of God.
Dalston Presbyterian Church was built on Shrubland Road in 1858, and registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1863. The building was acquired by the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1970.
Source: 'Hackney: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 130-144.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Lower Clapton Presbyterian Church, Downs Park Road, including Court of Session minute books, 1901-1935; Deacons' Court minute books, 1907-1935; Communicants' roll books, 1878-1935 (some gaps); register of baptisms (includes Dalston Presbyterian Church), 1854-1934; Disjunction certificate book, 1918-1935; Souvenir book including list of members, 1912 and copy of Indenture and Deed of Conveyance, 1873.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
This collection consists of records relating to meetings LMA/4354/A, registers LMA/4354/B, and legal information LMA/4354/C.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also LMA/4078 for marriage registers. Hackney Archives (43 De Beauvoir Road, N1 5SQ) holds records for Lower Clapton Congregational Church, see reference D/E 233 LOW.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009