Reference code(s): LMA/4337
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: PRESBYTERIAN SETTLEMENT, POPLAR
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.42 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
Presbyterian Housing was the first of the philanthropic societies to build in Poplar. When it was formed in 1925 there were several Presbyterian churches and a Presbyterian Women's Settlement in the Poplar area. At the instigation of Dr A. Herbert Gray of Crouch Hill, Miss H. B. Mackay, the Warden of the Settlement, addressed an informal meeting in Hampstead. Offers of help were immediately forthcoming and a committee was appointed to implement what was at first simply called the 'Presbyterian Housing Scheme'. Presbyterian Housing began its activities in Poplar in 1926 by converting properties in Poplar High Street into flats. It then moved on to build a new block of flats in Simpson's Road - Goodspeed House, opened in 1929. On 29 May 1929 the scheme became Presbyterian Housing Ltd, which was registered as a public utility society. A further block of flats was built in Simpson's Road (Goodwill House, opened in 1932) with the help of a supplemental contribution from the LCC.
From: 'Public Housing in Poplar: The Inter-war Years', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 23-37.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Presbyterian Housing Scheme, Poplar, including Ladies Committee minute book (The Committee of the Presbyterian Settlement, East London), 1901-1910; Ladies Settlement Committee minute book, 1910-1912; Committee of the Women's Presbyterian Settlement minute book, 1912-1939; Settlement Committee minute book, 1939-1946; General Committee minute book, 1946-1964; Executive Committee minute book, 1938-1960; Finance Committee minute book, 1954-1958; annual reports of the Presbyterian Settlement (missing years 1938, 1939 and 1966), 1899-1969; annual reports written by the congregation (missing 1961/1962), 1960-1965; architectural plans, 1938-1953; printed material relating to the Presbyterian Settlement, 1924-1968 and correspondence, 1911-1967.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records relating to meetings LMA/4337/A, architectural plans LMA/4337/B, and church records LMA/4337/C.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009