Reference code(s): LMA/4333
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LEYTONSTONE UNITED FREE CHURCH, WALLWOOD ROAD
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.38 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Hainault Road, Leytonstone, originated in 1888, when the Reverend G. Drysdale, a retired minister living in the district, built an iron church in Wallwood Road. In 1891 the Presbytery of North London recognized this as a sanctioned charge and in 1893 a permanent building designed by William Wallace was opened in Hainault Road. It is a red-brick building with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave and transepts. Under William Kidd (1895-1919) a debt of £6,000 was paid off, a hall built, and membership raised from 36 to nearly 200. During the 1920s, however, the church began to decline rapidly, and in 1939 it was closed and sold to the Essex county council, which used it as a civil defence depot.
From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 223-233.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Hainault Road, Leytonstone, including Communicants' roll books 1905-1939; register of baptisms, 1891-1938; Court of Session minute books, 1897-1939; Managers' minute books, 1891-1929; Treasurer's cash book, 1931-1939 and newspaper clippings, correspondence and music manuscript, 1937-1948.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009