Reference code(s): LMA/4328
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, EAST HAM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.66 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
East Ham Presbyterian Church, later Trinity Presbyterian Church, East Avenue, Manor Park, originated in the 1890s, when Alexander Thompson, a Scotsman who had previously worshipped at Plashet Park Congregational church, began to hold Presbyterian meetings at his house in Victoria Avenue. With help from the Presbytery of London North a site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church, given by Dr. J. A. Voelker, was erected there. There were early disagreements between the local congregation, which favoured a conventional organization, and the Presbytery, which advocated mission work of the 'central hall' type. These were settled by a compromise; in 1902 Thomas G. Murray became the first minister, in 1903 a permanent church was built, and in 1905 halls were added. By 1909 the membership was 424, and during the brilliant ministry of I. Gwessin Jenkins (1910-1928) it rose to 600. Under Jenkins's successor there was a sharp decline, but the church revived after the coming in 1935 of W. Harding Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church, Maryland Point (West Ham), from which it took over the name Trinity. From 1941 to 1945 it also accommodated the members of Wakefield Street Congregational church, whose own building had been bombed.
Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Manor Park, East Ham, including Court of Session minute books, 1900-1972; Deacons' Court minute books, 1943-1972; Finance Committee minute books, 1900-1920; Literary Society minute book, 1901-1927; Young People's Institute minute book, 1923-1928; Communicants' roll book, 1901-1967 and register of baptisms, 1901-1944.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records relating to meetings LMA/4328/A, and registers LMA/4328/B.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also LMA/4303/E for some records relating to East Ham Presbyterian Church Literary and Debating Society, and LMA/4105 for marriage registers.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009