Reference code(s): LMA/4324
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: JOHN KNOX UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, STEPNEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.5 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
John Knox Presbyterian Church, on Stepney Way, Stepney, was founded in 1844. When the Congregational Church and the Presbyterian Church decided to amalgamate to form the new United Reformed Church in 1972, the John Knox Presbyterian Church merged with Stepney Meeting House which was also situated on Stepney Way. For a short while both buildings continued to be used for worship, but in 1976 the Stepney Meeting House building on the corner with Copley Street was sold to the John Cass Foundation for use as a school chapel.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of John Knox Presbyterian Church including Court of Session minute books, 1868-1917; Deacons' Court minute books, 1860-1927 and Communicants' roll book, 1877-1939 (with gaps).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records relating to meetings LMA/4324/A, and registers LMA/4324/B.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Marriage registers 1900-1939 are held at LMA/4145. The Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives also has material relating to the John Knox Presbyterian Church and the Stepney Meeting House (refs W/SMH and TH/8342).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009