Reference code(s): LMA/4307
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LYNDHURST ROAD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, HAMPSTEAD
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
Lyndhurst Road Congregational Church, Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, originated in services held in an iron building on Willoughby Road in 1876. A church with around 60 members was formed in 1880. By 1883 membership had risen to 220 and the iron church often held 600 in a space designed for 440. 4 members of the church bought land on Rosslyn Grove estate, keeping part of the land to build a new church and selling on the remaining land to finance the construction. Theologian Robert F. Horton became the full time minister in 1884, remaining until 1930. He was an influential writer and preacher, whose Sunday night lectures drew many working men. The new church, seating 1,500, was opened in 1884. A lecture hall and school were added later. Membership was 1,276 in 1913 but fell to 1,000 during the First World War and to 613 in 1939. In 1972 the church became United Reformed when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged. The church was closed in 1978.
Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Lyndhurst Road Congregational Church, Hampstead, comprising Church manuals including reports and Ministers addresses, 1883-1891; Lyndhurst Road Church news sheet, 1935 and Lyndhurst Hall report, 1954-1955.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 2001 (B01/082).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Camden Archives hold records for Lyndhurst Road Congregational Church, Hampstead, including register of marriages October 1939 - November 1976; Yearbooks 1883-1918, 1922-1931, 1934/35, 1936, 1961, 1966; newsletters 1890-1947 (gaps); histories, lists of ministers, etc.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009