Reference code(s): O/576
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ROYAL MILITARY ASYLUM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Royal Military Asylum
The Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, was founded in 1801 at the height of Britain's war with France (1793-1815). An estimated 315,000 men died during this conflict, leaving their dependents destitute. The Asylum was intended to provide a home and school for the children of fallen rank and file soldiers as an alternative to the workhouse. In 1892, the RMA was renamed The Duke of York's Royal Military School and, in 1909, moved to new premises constructed on the Downs of Dover, Kent.
Source: The Duke of York's Royal Military School website, http://www.achart.ca/york/history.html.
Scope and content/abstract:
Apprenticeship indenture for John Campbell, resident in the Asylum, apprenticed to George Campbell, shoemaker, 1817.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1954 (AC/54/028).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of the Royal Military Asylum can be found at the National Archives, Kew.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2009