Reference code(s): ACC/0479
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHIEF EDUCATION OFFICER FOR MIDDLESEX
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.13 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Chief Education Officer for Middlesex
A turnpike was barrier placed across a road to stop traffic passing until a toll was paid.
The Manor of Isleworth Syon was in the hands of Walter de St. Valery in 1086, having been granted to him by William the Conqueror as a reward for his support during the conquest of England. The family retained possession of the manor until 1227 when it escheated to the crown. In 1229 a full grant of the manor was made by Henry III to his brother, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, whose son Edward inherited it in 1272. In 1301, Edward's widow Margaret was assigned the manor by Edward I as part of her dower, but it reverted to the crown on her death in 1312. The manor was eventually granted for life by Edward III to his wife Queen Philippa in 1330. The reversion was included in a grant of lands to Edward, Duke of Cornwall, in 1337. In 1390 Queen Anne the wife of Richard II was given a life interest in the manor. Henry V held the manor, as Prince of Wales, but when king, separated the manor from the duchy of Cornwall by Act of Parliament in 1421 in order to bestow it upon his newly founded convent of Syon. It remained as part of the convent's possessions until the dissolution in 1539 when it fell into the hands of the Crown and was added to the Honour of Hampton Court. In 1604 James I granted the manor to Henry, Earl of Northumberland, in whose family it remained.
Strawberry Hill was the residence of writer Horace Walpole (1717-1797). Situated in Twickenham, it was described as a 'little Gothic castle'. The building eventually came into the ownership of George, Earl of Waldegrave, who sold the contents in 1842 in order to pay off his debts.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers collected by the Chief Education Officer for Middlesex, including: An Act for Repairing the Roads in the Parishes of Kensington, Chelsea, and Fulham, and other Parishes, 1726; An Act for repairing the Highways from that part of Counters-Bridge which lies in the parish of Kensington, in the County of Middlesex, to Cranford-Bridge, in the Road to Colnbrooke, 1738; An Act for improving the Navigation of the River Lee, from the Town of Hertford to the new Cut or River made by the Mayor, Commonalty, and Citizens of London; and for enabling the Governor and Company of the New River the better to supply the Cities of London and Westminster, and the Liberties and Suburbs thereof, with good and wholesome Water, 1739; An Act for repairing the Roads in the Parishes of Kensington, Chelsea, and Fulham, and other Parishes; and for repairing some other Roads in the Parishes of St. George, and the said Parishes of Kensington and Chelsea, 1740; An Act for Building a Bridge cross the River of Thames, from Hampton Court in the County of Middlesex, to East Moulsey in the County of Surrey, 1750; An Act of Parliament to continue and render more effectual three Acts for repairing the Highways between Tyburn and Uxbridge, and for amending the Road leading from Brent Bridge to the Great Western Road in the said County, and for lighting, watching, and watering the Highway between Tyburn and Kensington Gravel Pits, 1769; laws relating to the Turnpike Roads, 1772; Brentford-Turnpike Acts of Parliament, with a correct list of the trustees, 1815; The General Turnpike Road Acts, passed 1822 and 1823; and the act passed for repairing the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Roads, 1824.
Also pamphlets "Istleworth - Syons Peace. Containing Certain Articles of Agreement made between the Right Honourable Algernoone Earl of Northumberland, etc. Lord of the Mannor of Istleworth - Syon, Peter Dodsworth, Hugh Potter and Robert Scawen, Esquires, of the One Part; and Sir Thomas Ingram knight, Sir Thomas Nott Knight, Sir John Syddenham Baronet, and others, Copy-hold Tenants of the said Mannor, of the Other Part", 1657; "The Case of the Taxes and Assessments raised upon the County of Middlesex", 1734; "To the inhabitants of (in and about) Hillington Parish Proposals For forming Charity Children", 17--; "The Case of the Late Election for the County of Middlesex considered", 1769; "A Catalogue of the classic contents of Strawberry Hill", 1842.
Also maps: Robert Morden map of Middlesex, 1695?; John Seller map of Middlesex, 1700?; R. W. Seale map of Middlesex, 1750?; John Cary map of Middlesex, 1787?; map of Middlesex made to accompany book "The Beauties of England and Wales", by G. Cole (draughtsman) and J. Roper (engraver), 1807; "London and the Suburbs", Edward Stanford, 1862 (20 sheets held in a portfolio).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
ACC/0479/1-5: Pamphlets; ACC/0479/6-12: Maps and ACC/0479/13-21: Turnpike Acts.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received from the Education Department in 1952 (ACC/0479).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009