Reference code(s): LMA/4037
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAVOY PRECINCT
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Residents of Savoy Precinct
The Savoy Precinct was the site of the Savoy Hospital. It was an extra-parochial place which became constituted as a civil parish in 1866. It is now in the City of Westminster, on the corner of Savoy Street and Victoria Embankment.
Waterloo Bridge, designed by Rennie, was built by a private company which obtained an act of Parliament for that purpose in 1809. Work began in 1811 and the original intention was to use the name 'Strand Bridge'. The project was renamed 'Waterloo Bridge' in 1816, a year before it opened in 1817.
In 1878 it was acquired by the Metropolitan Board of Works and the existing tolls were abandoned. Structural defects were soon discovered and repaired, but in the 1920's, the bridge was declared unsafe. The London County Council replaced it with a design by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott which was erected 1939-1944.
Scope and content/abstract:
Petition of the inhabitants of Savoy Precinct to the House of Commons protesting against the Strand Bridge Bill, 1811.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
This petition was purchased at auction in 1997 (B98/047).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See reference O/515 for records of the Waterloo Bridge Company.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009