Reference code(s): LMA/4194
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LONDON BOROUGH OF HARROW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): London Borough of Harrow
The archiepiscopal manor and ancient parish of Harrow covered an area 6½ miles long and 4½ miles wide in the eastern half of Gore hundred. The parish, called Harrow in the account that follows to distinguish it from the hamlet of Harrow-on-the-Hill or Harrow Town, stretched south from the Hertfordshire border to the River Brent. It was bounded by Elthorne hundred on the west and by Great Stanmore and Kingsbury parishes on the east. Parts of the parish, notably Pinner and Harrow-on-the-Hill, attracted wealthy residents as early as the 17th century. Harrow School, founded in 1572, contributed to the growth of Harrow-on-the-Hill from the end of the 18th century. Railways were followed in the late 19th century by housing estates and factories. After the British Empire Exhibition of 1924-5, for which Wembley Stadium was built, the site was developed and building spread over the south-east of the parish.
In the 19th century the total area was 13,809 acres, divided between Harrow (10,027 acres) and Pinner (3,782 acres). In 1931, when part of Northolt parish was added, the whole area, then administered by four district councils, consisted of 13,909 acres. In 1961 this area, divided into wards totalling 13,983 acres, formed part of the municipal boroughs of Harrow (12,555 acres) and Wembley (6,294 acres). In 1965 Harrow became the London Borough of Harrow, and Wembley became part of the London Borough of Brent.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 169-172.
Scope and content/abstract:
Print showing view of church and houses, Harrow. Dated Oct 1807, 1805 or 1835.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1998.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
The LMA hold a large collection of prints of London; please ask a member of staff or contact the enquiry service for more information.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009