Reference code(s): O/467
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LEWISHAM DISTRICT BOARD OF WORKS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Lewisham District Board of Works
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin in the High Street, Lewisham was a medieval foundation which has undergone several rebuildings. The churchyard was closed to burials in 1856. District Boards of Works handled aspects of local government and administration relating to public health, such as sewerage, drainage, maintenance of roads and highways, transport systems and the management of public open spaces.
The Emmanuel Church on Hornsey Road, Holloway, in the borough of Islington was constructed in 1886 and is still used for worship.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers relating to Saint Mary's, Lewisham, comprising blank subscription form, 1880, and printed bye-laws for the churchyard, made by the Lewisham District Board of Works, 1890. Also printed leaflet setting out the need for a permanent Church of Emmanuel in Hornsey Road, Holloway, 1880.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
3 items: O/467/001-003.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1977 (AC/77/037).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
For parish records for the Emmanuel Church, Hornsey Road, see reference P83/EMM, and for Saint Mary's Lewisham see reference P86/MRY.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009