Reference code(s): ACC/0864
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EDGWARE AND LITTLE STANMORE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.56 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Edgware and Little Stanmore Lighting Committee
Edgware Parish Council
Little Stanmore Parish Council
The parish of Edgware lay on the northern boundary of Middlesex, bordered on the north by Elstree, on the west by Little Stanmore, and on the east by Hendon. The parish of Little Stanmore was bounded on the north by Bushey Heath, on the east by Watling Street, separating Little Stanmore from Edgware and Hendon, on the south by Kingsbury and on the west by Great Stanmore.
Parish officers were elected annually and were responsible for various aspects of local administration. Because of their proximity Little Stanmore and Edgware always shared their main areas of settlement. The north of both parishes included parts of the village of Elstree. This closeness meant that the two parishes formed various joint administrative bodies and shared some staff and facilities. For example in 1767 a punishment cage was built and used jointly by Edgware and Little Stanmore.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Edgware and Little Stanmore Lighting Committee, 1895-1928, including account book, letter books and maps.
Records of Edgware Parish Council, 1888-1928, including valuation list, letter book, account book and councillor's declarations.
Records of Little Stanmore Parish Council, 1894-1931, including minute books, valuation lists and member's declarations on taking office.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
ACC/0864/001-006: Little Stanmore Parish Council; ACC/0864/007-010: Edgware Parish Council; ACC/0864/011-014: Edgware and Little Stanmore Lighting Committee.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1964 (Acc/0864).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009