Reference code(s): MCC/X/COA
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: MIDDLESEX COUNTY OFFICERS ASSOCIATION
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 linear metre
Name of creator(s): MCC | Middlesex County Council x Middlesex County Council
The Middlesex County Staff Club was founded in 1911 and was the first such organisation for County Council staff. The Club had 97 members and was admitted as a member of the National and Local Government Officers Association (NALGO) in October 1911. A Secretary was appointed to carry out the administration of the Club. The majority of the Club's activities in the years before the First World War were social and sporting.
The Club fell into abeyance in 1914. In 1919 the staff of the County Council grew in number and the need for a united body was widely expressed. The Middlesex County Officers Association was formed and acknowledged by the County Council in May 1919. The Association was managed by an Executive Committee (a Council from 1949) which had representatives from all departments as well as ex-officio officers. Numerous sub-committees were set up in succeeding years until the Association was reconstructed in 1949. Thereafter the functions of the sub-committees were divided beween a handful of committees.
The single most important function of the Association was to represent the views of the members to the County Council. The mood of these consultations varied according to circumstances. During the lifetime of the Association all aspects of service came under discussion; grading; working hours; overtime; leave; rest rooms; post-entry training; long service awards. Particularly contentious was the debate over the County Council's membership of the Whitley Council. From 1960 onwards the Association was primarily concerned to safeguard the interests of staff in the approach to the implementation of the Report of the 1958 Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London.
The Association always took an active interest in sports and recreation, particularly in the 1920s and 1930s. Cultural societies were formed from time to time. Within county offices restaurants and canteens were sponsored. From 1920 representatives were sent to NALGO conferences and in 1958 a Middlesex member was elected to the National Executive Committee.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Middlesex County Council Officers Association, 1933-1965, comprising correspondence and copies of the Guildhall Gazette staff magazine.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The archives have been arranged into the following series: MCC/X/COA/1 Correspondence; MCC/X/COA/2 Guildhall Gazettes.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the Corporation of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acquired with the records of its parent authority, the Middlesex County Council, and with successor authorities.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
For further information on the history of the Middlesex County Council please see Middlesex by Sir Clifford Radcliffe (2 editions, 1939 and 1953), LMA Library reference 97.09 MID; and The County Council of the Administrative County of Middlesex: 76 years of local government, 1 April 1889 to 31 March 1965, by Middlesex County Council (1965), LMA library reference S97.09 MID.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2009