Graphical version

London Metropolitan Archives



Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0448

Held at: London Metropolitan Archives


Date(s): 1636-1907

Level of description: Collection

Extent: 1.25 linear metres

Name of creator(s): Maude and Tunnicliffe | solicitors


Administrative/Biographical history:

Colham manor was in 1086 assessed at 8 hides, 6 of which were in demesne. Part of the manor lands was probably granted away in the mid-13th century to form the basis of the sub-manor later known as Cowley Hall. At some time before 1594, however, Hillingdon manor was incorporated in that of Colham. The location of the manor lands before the assimilation of Hillingdon manor is uncertain. Fourteenth-century surveys of Colham include land in Great Whatworth Field, Hanger Field, and Strode Field, a warren on Uxbridge Common, and woodland at Highseat in the north-west. By 1636, however, Colham and Hillingdon manors had been consolidated, so that the lands of Colham then covered approximately two-thirds of Hillingdon parish. At this date the outer boundaries of Colham appear to have substantially respected those of the parish, except in the north-east where the manor boundary followed the Pinn southward from Ickenham Bridge to Hercies Lane and then ran south-eastward to rejoin the parish boundary south of Pole Hill Farm. Insulated within the lands of Colham lay the 'three little manors' of Cowley Hall, Colham Garden, and Cowley Peachey, and freehold estates belonging to a number of manors in other parishes, including Swakeleys in Ickenham.

The manor passed through several owners before, in 1787, John Dodd sold the whole manor to Fysh de Burgh, lord of the manor of West Drayton. Fysh de Burgh died in 1800 leaving Colham, subject to the life interest of his widow Easter (d. 1823), in trust for his daughter Catherine (d. 1809), wife of James G. Lill who assumed the name of De Burgh, with remainder to their son Hubert. The manor passed to Hubert de Burgh in 1832 and he immediately mortgaged the estate. Hubert retained actual possession of the property, which was seldom if ever during this period unencumbered by mortgages, until his death in 1872.

In the 12th century the dean and chapter claimed that ten manse at West Drayton had been given by Athelstan to the cathedral church of Saint Paul, and the date 939 has been given for this grant. Though both the transcribed grant and the date are suspect, Saint Paul's appears to have been in possession by about 1000, when West Drayton supplied one of a number of 'shipmen' for a muster drawn from estates in Essex, Middlesex, and Surrey, most of which can be shown to have belonged, then or later, to the Bishop of London or to Saint Paul's. Various tenants farmed the estate on behalf of Saint Paul's until the lease was acquired in 1537 by William Paget (c. 1506-63), secretary to Jane Seymour. In 1546 Henry VIII, having 'by the diligence and industry' of Paget acquired the manor with all appurtenances, granted it to him in fee, and the interest of the chapter ceased.

From 1546 to 1786 the manor descended with the other Paget honors and estates, apart from a brief period at the end of the 16th century. In 1786 Henry Paget (1744-1812), 1st Earl of Uxbridge, sold the manor and estate to Fysh Coppinger, a London merchant, who assumed his wife's name de Burgh. His widow, Easter de Burgh, owned the manor in 1800. She died in 1823 and it passed to her grandson Hubert de Burgh, who died in 1872. The next heir, Francis (d. 1874), devised it jointly to his daughters, Minna Edith Elizabeth, and Eva Elizabeth, who was sole owner when she died unmarried in 1939.

From: "A History of the County of Middlesex", Volume 3 and Volume 4 (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers, 1636-1907, collected by the solicitors in the course of their work, including survey of the Manors of Colham, Harefield and Moorhall and the Borough of Uxbridge; "Titles to Heritable Estates", compiled by Pysh [or Fysh] de Burgh of Colham Manor in 1798; quitrents for Colham Manor; index of admissions and surrenders, rentals, bill and cash book, minute book of enclosure proceedings and enclosure act for West Drayton; and various legal papers relating to properties in Colham, Harefield, Hillingdon, Uxbridge, West Drayton, Kensington, Paddington and elsewhere.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

ACC/0448-1: Colham and West Drayton Manors.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Physical characteristics:


Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1952 (Acc/0448).


DESCRIPTION NOTES Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009

Enclosure | Land management | Land economics | Agricultural economics
Inclosure legislation | Legislation | Law
Manorial records | Documents | Information sources
Manors | Land use
Property owners | People by roles | People
Property ownership | Civil law | Legal systems | Law
Rentals | Documents | Information sources
Solicitors | Legal profession personnel | Personnel | People by occupation | People
Surveys | Field work | Research work
Property law x Right to property
Primary documents

Personal names

Corporate names
Maude and Tunnicliffe | solicitors

Colham | Hillingdon | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Harefield | Hillingdon | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Kensington | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Paddington | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Uxbridge | Middlesex | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
West Drayton | Hillingdon | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
City of Westminster
Kensington and Chelsea