Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4038
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: RED LION, GRAYS INN LANE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Unknown
Part of the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn was partly in Middlesex and partly in the City of London. Grays Inn Lane was in Middlesex.
The Red Lion Inn was situated in the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn. According to the Scavengers Rate Books of Saint Andrew and Saint George the Martyr, 1729-1757, kept at the Holborn Reference Library, the inn lay on the east side of Gray's Inn Lane, the ninth property from Liquorpond Street and the third from Portpool Lane. This is confirmed by the marking of Red Lion Yard on Horwood's map of 1819. The site appears to be approximately that of the present 88-90 Gray's Inn Road, Liquorpond Street having been widened and renamed Clerkenwell Road.
Scope and content/abstract:
Deed transferring "The Redd Lyon" [The Red Lion] public house and land in Gray's Inn Lane from Edward Blount to Thomas Smythe, 22 July 1597.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to the Archive in 1998.
The Redd Lyon mentioned in this document is believed to be the same property which belonged to Michael Gibbons, whose account books 1725-1753 are held at LMA (see B/GIB/001-006).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009