Reference code(s): GB 0074 O/265
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BATTERSEA BRIDGE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Proprietors of Battersea Bridge
Battersea Bridge was built in 1771-72. It was constructed from wood to the designs of Henry Holland to replace the ferry between Chelsea and Battersea. The bridge was demolished in 1881 as boats often collided with the piers, but had already contributed to the growth of Chelsea from a village to a small town. The present bridge with cast iron girders and designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette was erected 1886-90.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Proprietors of Battersea Bridge, 1842-1871, including a copy of a statement on tolls sent to the Committee of Metropolitan Bridges, copies of questions submitted on the Thames Navigation Act 1870 and on Albert Bridge, copy of an agreement and a copy memorial sent to the Examiners of Standing Orders for Private Bills of non-compliance with standing order.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1968 (AC/68/045)
See also B/PBB and BC/B/001-045.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009