Reference code(s): GB 0074 O/045
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: THAMES IRON WORKS, SHIPBUILDING AND ENGINEERING COMPANY LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd x Ditchburn and Mare Shipbuilding Co x C J Mare and Co
The Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited was founded in 1837 by shipbuilder Thomas Ditchburn and naval architect Charles Mare as the Ditchburn and Mare Shipbuilding Company, then C.J. Mare and Company. The shipyards were first at Deptford, then moved to Orchard Creek. They were one of the first builders of iron ships. They built several warships for the Admiralty including HMS Warrior. Their employee football club, Thames Ironworks FC, later became West Ham United FC. The Ironworks closed in 1912, unable to compete with northern shipyards.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minute book of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd, 30 October 1899 to 14 June 1911.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to the Archive in 1961.
See also ACC/1712 for records relating to property owned by the Company.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009