Reference code(s): GB 0074 B/SLONG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SOUTH LONDON GAS LIGHT AND COKE COMPANY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): South London Gas Light and Coke Company
The South London Gas Light and Coke Company was founded in 1814 to serve Southwark, places in the East Half Hundred of Brixton, and Southwark Bridge. Incorporated by Act of Parliament, 1 and 2 Geo IV, cLI, 1821. Works etc. transferred to Phoenix Gas Light and Coke Company, 1824 becoming the United South London and Phoenix Gas Companies. In 1823 the South London approached the Court of the Chartered Company with a view to taking over their area south of the Thames. Agreement was reached in 1825 that the Phoenix should pay £5,000 for the mains and right to supply with the proviso that the Chartered could re-enter Surrey and buy back the mains at any time. Phoenix merged with the South Metropolitan Gas Light and Coke Company in 1880.
Scope and content/abstract:
Signed minutes of the Committee of Management of the South London Gas Light and Coke Company, 1823-1824.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Not available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the depositor.
Unfit for consultation
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1977.
B/PHG: Phoenix Gas Light and Coke Company
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009