Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2473
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ROYAL COMMERCIAL TRAVELLERS SCHOOL, PINNER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Commercial Travellers' School | 1845-1918 x Royal Commercial Travellers' School | 1918-1965 x Royal Pinner School | 1965-1967
The Royal Commercial Travellers' Schools at Pinner derived from a small school for the orphans of commercial travellers founded on the initiative of John Robert Cuffley in 1845 at Wanstead, then in Essex. In 1855 the foundation stone of a larger school with accommodation for 140 was laid by the Prince Consort on a site in Hatch End. The building, in red brick with stone dressings in the Gothic style, was enlarged in 1868, 1876-7, 1878, 1905, and 1907. There were 365 boys and girls, all of them boarders, in 1937. The school, which provided a grammar school education, was renamed the Royal Pinner School, Hatch End, in 1965. By this date it was in financial difficulties and it was closed in 1967, although a Royal Pinner School Foundation was set up to help pupils who had been receiving a free education. The buildings were divided between Harrow College of Further Education and a Roman Catholic primary school
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 265-269 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Royal Commercial Travellers' School, Pinner, comprising letter written by Victor Winstanley, pupil at the School, to his mother, 21 March 1896, mentioning sports and weather and asking for light blue ribbon as 'The Oxford and Cambridge boat race is a week today'.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
This document was donated by Roy Winstanley of Halesowen on 8 Jul 1987.
See also ACC/0923 and ACC/0992 for more records of the School.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009