Graphical version

London Metropolitan Archives

MAIR, George (fl 1844-1848) {ARCHITECT}


Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1155

Held at: London Metropolitan Archives

Title: MAIR, George (fl 1844-1848) {ARCHITECT}

Date(s): 1844-1848

Level of description: Collection

Extent: 1 linear metre

Name of creator(s): Mair | George | fl 1844-1848 | architect


Administrative/Biographical history:

The site of Kneller Hall, Whitton, appears to have been occupied by a less important building in 1635. Court painter Sir Godfrey Kneller had alterations made to it by Vanbrugh in 1703; subsequent additions and changes have, however, made the house in effect a different building, and the present appearance of the grounds also dates from a later period. The last large house of 1635 had apparently been built since 1607 and stood west of Hounslow Road, nearly opposite the present church, on inclosed land projecting on the heath. It was rebuilt in 1724-5 by Roger Morris for its owner, the Earl of Ilay (later Duke of Argyll), though it was subsequently destroyed.

Kneller Hall was rebuilt as a government college for the training of teachers, later passing to the War Office for use by the Royal Military School of Music as a military music school. James Phillips Kay-Shuttleworth, (created a baronet in 1849), whose signature is present on all drawings, was secretary to the Privy Council's committee on education.


Scope and content/abstract:

This collection consists of architectural drawings (on paper) of Kneller Hall, Twickenham, by George Mair, 1844-1848. The drawings of both First and Second Series bear the signatures: 'J.P. Kay Shuttleworth' and 'John Kelk'. In addition to the signatures all the drawings bear, in Kay-Shuttleworth's hand and following his signature, a date: 'Feb. 8. 1848' in the case of the First Series, and 'June 17 1848' in the case of Second Series. All the drawings bear, near Mair's inscription, the number 51/1844, which is perhaps his commission number or 'job number'. Moreover, all the drawings bear a circular stencilled stamp reading '1861 R.E. Office London' enclosing a number (either 6, 7, or 12).

Drawings in the First Series are all scaled 1 inch to 10 ft. They are all signed; 'Geo. Mair, architect, 18 Charlotte Street, Bedford Sq, London'. Most have original legends which contain clear indication that they relate to proposed alterations to an existing building. Drawings include: basement plan; ground plan; first floor plan; second floor plan; plan of roofs; entrance elevation; back elevation and side elevation.

Drawings of the Second Series show a very substantially altered building as compared with that depicted in the First Series. They are all signed: 'Geo. Mair, archt., May 1848'. Drawings include: plan of footing and drains; basement plan; ground plan; first floor plan; second floor plan; plan of roofs; north elevation; east elevation; west elevation showing additional buildings over the offices; transverse section C-D on plans and longitudinal section A-B.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

First Series: ACC/1155/001 - ACC/1155/009; Second Series: ACC/1155/010 - ACC/1155/020.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Physical characteristics:


Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1971.


DESCRIPTION NOTES Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009

Architects | Artists
Architectural details | Architecture
Architectural drawing | Drawing | Graphic arts
Architectural drawings | Drawings | Visual materials
Architectural plans | Plans | Visual materials
Building design | Construction engineering

Personal names
Mair | George | fl 1844-1848 | architect

Corporate names