Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4210
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): National Provincial Bank Ltd
The National Provincial Bank was founded in 1833. It established administrative offices in London and branches outside the city, allowing it to issue its own banknotes. By 1865 the bank had 122 branches throughout England and Wales.
In 1866 the bank established a new head office in Bishopsgate, and opened its first London branch (obliging it to give up its own banknotes). In 1918 the bank merged with the Union Bank of London and was renamed National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd, which was shortened to National Provincial Bank Ltd in 1924. It merged with National Westminster Bank in 1970, and is now part of the Royal Bank of Scotland group.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the National Provincial Bank, comprising photograph of the facade of the Bishopsgate branch of the bank, 1865.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this photograph rests with the originator.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Donated to the Archive in 1998.
Archives of the National Provincial Bank are held by the Royal Bank of Scotland Archive, reference code NAT.
H Withers, "National Provincial Bank 1833-1933" (London: privately published by National Provincial Bank, 1933).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009