Reference code(s): GB 0074 O/495
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CITY OF LONDON AND TOWER HAMLETS CEMETERY COMPANY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Company
By the mid 19th century churchyards within London were becoming overcrowded, unsanitary and unfit to be used for further burials. Local government therefore looked for suitable unused land outside the spread of the city. The Corporation of London, for example, bought land at Ilford, Essex, for a large cemetery and crematorium.
The City of London and Tower Hamlets Company opened its burial ground to the south of Mile End Road, Stepney, in 1841; the last burial took place in 1966.
The cemetery ground was acquired by the Greater London Council in 1966 and was thereafter managed by the GLC Parks Department.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Company, comprising share certificates, 1843-1865.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1978 (AC/78/027)
For further records relating to the City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery please see reference CTHC.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: July to October 2009