Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2305/68
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BRISTOL BREWERY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.65 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Bristol Brewery Georges and Co Ltd
The Old Porter Brewery, Bath Street, Bristol, was built in 1730 by Isaac Hobhouse and later sold to James Grimes. In 1788 it was bought by Philip George and became Philip George and the Bristol Porter Brewery. In 1816 it became Georges, Rickettses and Company, and by 1888 it was known as Georges and Company. The business was incorporated in 1888 as Bristol Brewery Georges and Company Limited.
Took over Bedminster Brewery 1889; Walton Brewery Co. Ltd. (date not known); R.W. Millet and Co. Ltd., Bristol, 1911; W. Hall and Sons, Lodway Brewery, Pill, 1912; Edgar Thatcher and Co., Heath Brewery, Nailsea, 1917; John Arnold and Sons, High Street, Wickwar, 1917; Bath Brewery Ltd., Westgate Street, Bath, 1923; Geo. Biggs and Sons, Crown Brewery, New Orchard Street, Bath, 1924; Ashton Gate Brewery Co. Ltd., Bedminster, 1931.
The company merged with Bristol United Breweries in 1956 and was taken over by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1961.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Bristol Brewery Georges and Company Limited, including Board of directors minute book; Directors' report and statement of accounts; rules and list of fixtures, Bristol Brewery Georges and Co. Ltd. Athletic Club; papers relating to wages and salaries; memorandums; correspondence; loan stock registers and report and valuation of properties, including those of subsidiaries (thus Bristol United Breweries, Charlton, Oakhill, Dunlop Mackie, Crocker, St Vincent's Hotel, Lewins Properties).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged in one series: ACC/2305/68/001-013 - Corporate Records.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited as part of an accession of records from Courage Barclay and Simonds, 1969-1988.
Many records relating to this company have been deposited in Bristol Record Office. For trust deeds, 1893 and 1956, see Courage, Barclay and Simonds, reference ACC/2305/26/017-018; for declarations of trust see reference ACC/2305/26/063; for declarations of trust and share certificatesf or Lewins Properties Ltd, 1943-1962, see reference ACC/2305/26/065/19-22. For papers in acquisition by Courage, Barclay and Simonds see reference ACC/2305/26/074.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2009 to February 2010