Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2558/EL/A
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EAST LONDON WATERWORKS COMPANY: CORPORATE RECORDS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 54.4 linear metres
Name of creator(s): East London Waterworks Company
According to The London Encyclopaedia (ed Weinreb and Hibbert, 1992), the East London Waterworks Company was founded in 1807, with works at Old Ford, Bow, supplied by the River Lea [or Lee]. The company took over the Shadwell Waterworks Company, the West Ham Waterworks and the Hackney Waterworks. In 1861 new reservoirs were constructed at Walthamstow, and in 1866 the Old Ford site was forced to close after an outbreak of cholera. The company also had a reservoir at Finsbury Park, fed from the Thames at Sunbury Lock via 19 miles of pipes. In 1884 the water pipes were invaded by eels. In 1902 the company was taken over by the Metropolitan Water Board.
Scope and content/abstract:
Corporate records of the East London Waterworks Company, including Court of Director's minute books; legal papers; Committee papers; title deeds; correspondence and letter books; papers relating to stocks, shares and debentures; Parliamentary papers; papers relating to royal commissions on water supply; Secretary's files; press cuttings; and plans.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Within each company the records are divided as follows:
A (1) Corporate Records - including board minutes, parliamentary and legal papers.
B (2) Accounting Records - these are usually very extensive but do not include stocks and shares records which appear in section A.
C (3) Staff Records.
D (4) Water Supply and Distribution Records - including engineering and technical files.
E (5) Purchase Records - including stock books.
F (6) Property Records - many property matters are however dealt with in the legal papers in section A.
G (7) Miscellaneous Records.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1988, as part of a larger accession of records from Thames Water.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2009 to February 2010