Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2305/23-4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: NICHOLSON AND SONS: GENERAL RECORDS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.23 linear metres (extent of all 4 Nicholson and Sons subfonds combined).
Name of creator(s): Nicholson and Sons Ltd | brewers
A brewery at 77 High Street, Maidenhead was founded in 1840 by William Nicholson whose sons joined him in 1877. Nicholson and Sons Limited was incorporated in 1903. The company acquired Langton's Brewery, Market Street, Maidenhead, in 1906, and Fuller, Story and Company Limited, Bell Brewery, King Street, Maidenhead, in 1922.
They were a wholly owned subsidiary of Courage and Barclay by Nov 1959. The brewery closed in February 1961 and the company entered voluntary liquidation in 1967.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Nicholson and Sons Limited, brewers, comprising memorandum about box 'WRN' and key being sent from Maidenhead to Horsleydown. The box contained company documents, now catalogued as ACC/2305/23/001-005, 008-010, 013-015, 017, 021 and 033 and 042.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records of Nicholson and Sons have been arranged in 4 sub-fonds:
ACC/2305/23-1: Corporate records
ACC/2305/23-2: Sales records
ACC/2305/23-3: Staff records
ACC/2305/23-4: General records.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited as part of an accession of records from Courage Barclay and Simonds, 1969-1988.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2009 to February 2010