Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/123
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, HARMONDSWORTH: HIGH STREET, HILLINGDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.13 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Harmondsworth
Saint Mary's oldest part is 12th century and the church was largely remodelled in the 13th century. Its octagonal font dates to c 1200. Other parts of the church date from the 14th, 15th, 16th and 19th century. It was extensively restored in 1862-1863. St Mary's contains the tomb of Richard Cox (d.1845), a local brewer who was responsible for perfecting Cox's Orange Pippin at Colnbrook in the adjoining parish. The church has a tower with a cupola. The doorway is Norman and the interior varies between 13th and 16th centuries. Some of the pews are 16th century. All the brasses were stolen at the time of the restoration in the mid 19th century.
Scope and content/abstract:
Parish registers of Saint Mary the Virgin, Harmondsworth, including registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
DRO/123/001: Composite register; DRO/123/002-008: Baptism registers; DRO/123/009-017: Marriage registers; DRO/123/018-020: Burial registers.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in March 1997.
For a banns book from this church see reference ACC/0545.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.