Reference code(s): GB 0074 P76/LUK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LUKE, FINSBURY: OLD STREET, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.47 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Luke, Old Street, Finsbury | Church of England
The church of Saint Luke, Old Street, was one of the last to be built under the 1711 "Act for the building of Fifty New Churches in the Cities of London and Westminster or the Suburbs thereof" to be paid for by a tax levied on coal entering the City of London. It was designed by the Church Commissioner's surveyors, Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James, 1727-1733: the spire is in the shape of a fluted obelisk. The parish was formed from Saint Giles, Cripplegate in 1733 and is now again part of Saint Giles.
After the amalgamation of the parish with Saint Giles, the building was left unused for 30 years. It has now been restored with Lottery funding and is known as LSO Saint Luke's - the London Symphony Orchestra's Music Education Centre.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Luke, Old Street, Finsbury, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, burials and banns of marriages; register of headstones and monumental inscriptions; register of church services and preachers; register of poor children; Parish or Chapter books; minutes of General Committee of the (Young) Women's Help Society, Saint Luke's Branch; scrapbook of printed notices and press cuttings relating to services, charities, entertainments, and so on; parish reports and orders of removal.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P76/LUK/001-107: Registers; P76/LUK/108-133: Other Parish Records.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in multiple accessions in 1954, 1961, 1967 and 1969.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.