Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/110
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, HILLINGDON: UXBRIDGE ROAD, HILLINGDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.65 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Baptist, Hillingdon | Church of England
The earliest reference to a church in Hillingdon is the grant by Brian Fitz Count, Lord of Colham Manor, of Hillingdon Church to Evesham Abbey, Worcestershire shortly after 1100. Nothing remains of that building. The present church is built mainly of flint rubble with stone dressings. The oldest part of the building is the re-set chancel arch which has ""stiff-leaf"" foliage capitals of the thirteenth century. The church was thoroughly restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1847/8 when the nave was lengthened, the transepts were added and the present east end, including the chancel with flanking chapels, was built. The building was restored in 1902 and again in 1953-5, and a new north-east vestry was added in 1964. By 1819 the churchyard had become full and it was enlarged by incorporating part of Coney Green on the south side. It again became full and in 1867 it was closed to burials in new graves, although burials continued of family members in existing graves. The last such burial was in 1948.
When using the earliest registers it may be helpful to be aware of certain aspects of the law relating to parish record keeping during the period of the Civil War and the Commonwealth 1642-1660. On 6 December 1644 (taking effect 4 January 1645) an ordinance required that each parish should record the dates of baptisms, plus the dates of birth and the parents names. Each burial entry was to record also the date of death. Few parishes observed these directions. An Act of Parliament of 24 August 1653 (taking effect 29 September 1653) which legalised civil marriage took away from ministers custody of the registers and the solemnisation of the marriage ceremony. This latter duty was passed to the Justices. The registers were to be kept by a new secular official, the 'Parish Register', elected by all the rate payers in a parish, and sworn before, and approved by, a magistrate. At St John, Hillingdon, the appointment of the Register (Robert Newington, the parish clerk) is recorded in DRO/110/002 on 19 September 1653. All registration functions were entrusted to these officials. A common feature of parish registers at this time (and which occurs in those of St John, Hillingdon) is the entry of dates of birth and publication of marriage, as well as, or instead of, those of baptism and marriage. The marriage ordinance was confirmed in 1657 but the declaration that marriages, other than those conducted by the Justices, were illegal was omitted. In many places, from then until the end of the Commonwealth, marriages were celebrated by magistrate and Register jointly. The effects of this upheaval can be seen in the haphazard nature of the entries from this period in DRO/110/001. Later entries are usually duplicated in DRO/110/002, sometimes with slightly altered spellings.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of St John the Baptist, Hillingdon, comprising registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, confirmations and services. Also includes cash books and ledgers.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged as follows: Parish Registers (DRO/110/A); Church Services (DRO/110/B); Parish Finance (DRO/110/H).
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in March 1996 and June 2012.
Later registers are in the care of the incumbent. A considerable amount of non-register material has been deposited at the London Borough of Hillingdon Local Studies Department, Central Library, High Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex; the remainder is kept at the church.
Parishes created from the original parish area of St John the Baptist, Hillingdon: A chapel dedicated to St Margaret was built in Uxbridge before 1248. The building was rebuilt and enlarged over subsequent centuries. St Margaret's became a separate parish in 1842 (see DRO/010). The new parish of St John the Evangelist was formed from the Uxbridge Moor area of Hillingdon in 1838 (see DRO/042) St Andrew, Uxbridge was taken from the parent parish in 1865 (see DRO/106). A chapel of ease at Yiewsley was consecrated in 1858, and in 1874 a separate parish of St Matthew, Yiewsley was formed from the southern portion of Hillingdon parish (DRO/154).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.