Reference code(s): GB 0074 P76/SIL
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT SILAS, PENTONVILLE: PENTON STREET, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.23 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Silas, Pentonville | Church of England
The church of Saint Silas originated as an iron mission church established by the vicar of Saint James, Pentonville. A permanent church was constructed between 1860 and 1863. An initial dedication to Christ Church was changed to Saint Silas at the consecration in 1867. At one time the church shared an administration with the All Saints Mission Chapel on White Lion Street, and was notorious for promoting Anglo-Catholicism.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Silas, Pentonville, including baptism registers (1866-1929); marriage registers (1868-1924); Church service registers; papers relating to terrier; faculties for the maintenance of the church building and annual accounts.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P76/SIL/A: Parish Registers; P76/SIL/B: Church Services; P76/SIL/D: Parish Boundaries; P76/SIL/E: Church Buildings; P76/SIL/F: Churchyard; P76/SIL/H: Parish Finance.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1964.
See P76/ALL for the All Saints Mission Chapel on White Lion Street.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.