Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/125
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, TEDDINGTON: HIGH STREET, RICHMOND
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.22 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Teddington | Church of England
Teddington began as a chapelry of Staines, under the jurisdiction of the priest at Staines. It gained independence as a parish by the end of the Middle Ages, when patronage was transferred to the manor. The church of Saint Mary was a medieval construction, however, later repairs and rebuilding has meant that no part of the present building dates from before the 16th century. In 1889 the church was closed for services and Saint Albans became the parish church. Repairs were carried out and the church reopened for occasional use in 1898.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 76-79.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Teddington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; registers of church services; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to the benefice including mortgages and sequestrations; papers relating to church buildings including faculties and a history of Saint Mary's; papers relating to the churchyard; Churchwardens' papers; Vestry, Parochial Church Council and Committee minutes and correspondence; financial accounts; papers relating to parish charities and the Church School; and parish newsletters.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
DRO/125/001-028: Parish Registers; DRO/125/029-106: Parish Administration and Finance.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in August 1997.
See also records of the church of Saint Alban, DRO/125/A.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.