Reference code(s): GB 0074 P71/JN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN HORSELYDOWN, BERMONDSEY: TOOLEY STREET, SOUTHWARK
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.17 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John Horselydown, Bermondsey | Church of England
The parish was united with Saint Olave in 1918. The Church was damaged in the Second World War; from September 1940 marriages were solemnized in the Vestry Hall. The last marriage register was closed in October 1956 when the parishes of Saint John Horselydown and Saint Olave were united with Saint Mary Magdalen Bermondsey.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of St John Horselydown, Bermondsey, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; papers relating to parish finances; faculties; papers relating to parochial charities and terrier.
Records relating to civil functions including Overseers of the Poor accounts; workhouse admission and discharge registers; poor relief book; and register of settlement examinations.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in multiple accessions between 1954 and 1981.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.