Reference code(s): GB 0074 P82/GIS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT GILES IN THE FIELDS, HOLBORN: SAINT GILES HIGH STREET, CAMDEN
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 13.7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Giles in the Fields, Holborn | Church of England
Saint Giles in the Fields originated in a leper hospital founded in 1101 by Queen Matilda. The chapel at the hospital came to serve locals as well as patients, and continued to serve this parochial role even after the closure of the hospital in 1539. A new church was constructed in 1623, however, this suffered structural damage from excessive burials in the churchyard, and in 1711 a new church was proposed under the Act for Fifty New Churches. The building was finished in 1733 and has changed little since then.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records relating to civil functions of the parish of Saint Giles in the Fields, Holborn, including settlement examinations, orders of removal inwards and outwards, apprenticeship indentures, reception orders for lunatics, and papers relating to the workhouse including minutes of Heston Workhouse Committee.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in one series: P82/GIS-1: Parish Records.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St Giles-in-the-Fields, Holborn, transferred from the records of St Sepulchre, City of London, October 1956. Records of Holborn parishes, transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians to the London County Record Office, 6 October 1954 (P82/GIS/2-4). Further records of St Giles-in-the-Fields, Holborn, transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians to the London County Record Office, 28 June 1961 (P82/GIS/5). Records of St Giles-in-the-Fields and St George Bloomsbury Way, Holborn, transferred from the records of the Holborn Board of Guardians, November 1972 (P82/GIS/6 - 167).
Further records can be found at Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre, reference P/GF and P/GG.
See 60.531 (ST.GI).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.