Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/063
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARK, NOEL PARK: LYMINGTON AVENUE, WOOD GREEN, HARINGEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.42 linear metres (440 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mark, Noel Park, Wood Green | Church of England
The history of the church of Saint Mark, Noel Park, begins in 1884 when work commenced on the Noel Park Estate and services were held by Revd R.B. Dowling in a shop in Lymington Avenue. A site in Gladstone Avenue for the church, vicarage and a hall had already been purchased, with the help of the Bishop of London's Fund. The church hall was opened on 25 March 1885. The church of St Mark was consecrated on 1 November 1889, when an ecclesiastical district was assigned by the Ecclesiastical commissioners from part of Saint Michael's, Wood Green.
The Walsham-How Mission Hall was opened in 1913. It is named after Bishop Walsham-How, first Bishop of Wakefield, who encouraged the people of his native Shropshire to adopt the parish of Saint Mark as their county mission. This money was raised in Shropshire to erect the mission hall, which would be supported by the Shropshire Mission to East London.
St Mark's (Noel Park) Institute co-ordinated social societies connected with St Mark's, and their finances.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mark, Noel Park, Wood Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, confirmations and church services; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers of the Shropshire Mission to East London; minutes of St Mark's (Noel Park) Institute; photographs and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/063/001-413).
Conditions governing access:
Somes files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in February 1985.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.