Reference code(s): GB 0074 P74/LUK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LUKE, CHELSEA: SYDNEY STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 12.20 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Luke, Chelsea | Church of England
Chelsea Old Church | Church of England
The parish church of Chelsea was known originally as All Saints, but from the late 17th century it became known as St Luke's, although there was never a formal rededication. In 1819 a new church was built in a more central location, which was dedicated to Saint Luke and which became the new parish church. The old church was used as a chapel of ease, known as Chelsea Old Church. The incumbent of the Old Church was known as the assistant minister of the Parish Chapel. The Old Church building was ruined by bombing in 1941, but was restored between 1947 and 1958. A parish was assigned to the Old Church in 1951, called All Saints (Chelsea Old Church).
The new parish church of Saint Luke was built on Robert Street (later renamed Sydney Street). The foundation stone was laid in 1820 and the church was consecrated in 1824. It was built at great expense in an English Perpendicular style; with the tallest nave in London (bar those of Saint Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey). The parish of Saint Luke was divided into smaller parishes from 1831 onwards with the construction of Holy Trinity, Christ Church, Saint Saviour, Saint Jude, Saint Matthew and Saint Simon Zelotes.
In 1727 the churchwardens set up a house for the poor, and from 1735 a workhouse was opened on land given by Sir Hans Sloane north of the King's Road. The workhouse was managed by a Vestry committee founded in 1735, the committee usually included the rector, both churchwardens, at least one overseer, the doctor and the constable.
Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 206-258.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Parish of Saint Luke, Chelsea, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; poor rate books; Workhouse Committee minutes and other papers relating to the workhouse including financial accounts, admission and discharge registers and registers of deaths; pensioned poor books; indexes of pensioned poor and bastardy cases; names of those receiving casual poor relief; apprenticeship registers; settlement and bastardy examinations and removal orders to and from the parish.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P74/LUK/001-160: Poor Relief and Civil Parish Functions; P74/LUK/161-289: Parish Registers.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited on the 25 March 1954; with further material deposited in 1961, 1963, 1964, 1994 and 2008.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.