Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2712/NWS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: NEW SYNAGOGUE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 25.09 linear metres
Name of creator(s): New Synagogue | Leadenhall Street
The New Synagogue was founded in 1761 in Leadenhall Street. It remained there until 1837, when it moved to Great Saint Helens in Bishopsgate. Following the movement of a large part of its congregation into London's suburbs, the synagogue moved again in 1915 to Egerton Road, Stamford Hill. Its membership began to decline after World War II and in 1987 the United Synagogue sold it to the Bobov, a Chasidic community.
The New Synagogue was one of the original five synagogues which grouped together to form the United Synagogue in 1870, and remained a Constituent member until its sale.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the New Synagogue, Leadenhall Street, consisting of administrative and financial records, including laws and byelaws, minutes, annual reports, letter books, membership records and photographs; an extensive run of correspondence files, registers of memorials; chalitzah books and registers of kethubot [marriage contracts].
PLEASE NOTE: Records can only be accessed with the written permission of the depositor. Contact the Chief Executive, United Synagogue.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The administrative, financial and correspondence files form part of the original deposit and have been listed as ACC/2712/NWS plus a running number. The earlier files are arranged broadly by date, while the later ones are arranged according to the original scheme imposed by the United Synagogue's secretariat with each file being given a prefix - A1, A2 etc. In such cases, if a series appears to be missing it should be assumed that those files have not survived.
The additional deposits have been further sub-divided as follows: Administration ACC/2712/NWS/01; Membership ACC/2712/NWS/02; Finance ACC/2712/NWS/03.
Conditions governing access:
All records relating to membership are closed to public inspection. Other material is available for consultation only with the written permission of the United Synagogue's Chief Executive.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited as part of a larger accession of material from the United Synagogue, with several later additional deposits.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Description prepared in March 2010.