Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/139
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT GEORGE'S BARRACK CHAPEL: HOUNSLOW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres (1 volume).
Name of creator(s): St George's Barrack Chapel, Hounslow | Church of England
In 1793 cavalry barracks were built on the heath in Heston north of the Staines Road. Accommodation for infantry was first provided in the 1870s. When the Isleworth and Heston part of the heath was inclosed in 1818, 268 acres south of the Staines Road were purchased by the government to be an exercise ground for the barracks. A chapel was opened at the Barracks in the 19th century.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 94-96.
Scope and content/abstract:
Confirmations register for St George's Barrack Chapel, Hounslow.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
One volume catalogued as DRO/139/A/06/001.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
This confirmations register for St George's Garrison Church, Hounslow, was deposited in London Metropolitan Archives in October 1999. It was found amongst additional records of Holy Trinity, Hounslow, which were deposited at the same time.
See also DRO/138: Heston Barracks Chapel.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.