Reference code(s): GB 0074 P72/JN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN, BETHNAL GREEN: TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.27 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John, Bethnal Green | Church of England
The church of Saint John originated as a chapel of ease to the church of Saint Matthew. It was founded in 1828. A district was assigned in 1837. By 1858 the church supported a provident society, library and bible class. A mission was opened in Peel Grove in 1881. The church building was constructed in 1826-1828, designed by Sir John Soane. It was damaged by enemy action in 1941. In 1951 part of the parish was united with Saint James the Less (P72/JSL); and the rest with Saint Simon Zelotes (P72/SIM) to form the parish of Saint John with Saint Simon. In 1978 it was again merged, this time with Saint Bartholomew (P72/BAT) to form Saint John with Saint Bartholomew. Saint John's became the parish church.
From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John, Bethnal Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; registers of church services; Churchwardens' financial accounts; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; administrative files including general correspondence, reports and circulars; financial records; papers relating to Saint John's Schools; photographs of the church, church personnel, and church activities; papers relating to parish boundaries; and reports regarding the church building.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St John's Church on Bethnal Green deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, County Hall, London SE1 14 February 1973.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.