Reference code(s): GB 0074 P76/JS2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JAMES, PENTONVILLE: PENTONVILLE ROAD, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.14 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Pentonville | Church of England
The church of Saint James, Pentonville, was founded in 1778 as Pentonville Chapel, and was used as a chapel of ease to Saint James, Clerkenwell. It was not made a separate parish church until 1854 when a parish was assigned. The church served as the official church of the International Circus Clown's Club and held an annual service for circus members. A memorial to famous circus clown Joseph Grimaldi was erected in the graveyard after his death in 1837.
The church was declared redundant in May 1978 and the parish was united with All Saints, Battle Bridge, Caledonian Road. On the union of the parishes of All Saints with Saint James and Saint Andrew, Thornhill Square, Barnsbury in 1980, most of the former parish of Saint James was transferred to the parish of Saint Silas, Penton Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint James, Pentonville, including registers of baptisms, burials, marriages, confirmations and banns of marriage; registers of preachers; registers of church services; papers of the incumbent; papers relating to church property including plans; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings including architect's surveys; annual reports; financial records; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; Managing Committee of the Pentonville Charity School minute book and other School papers; papers relating to parochial charities; scrapbooks, photographs and newsletters.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P76/JS2/001-045: Registers; P76/JS2/046-089: Other Parish Records.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the Vicar in the London County Record Office, County Hall, on 21 February 1956. Additional parish records deposited 26 May 1981, 8 June 1983 and 7 January 2005.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.