Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/086
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT NICHOLAS, SHEPPERTON: CHURCH SQUARE, SHEPPERTON, SURREY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.83 linear metres (27 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Nicholas, Shepperton | Church of England
The church of Saint Nicholas at Shepperton is first mentioned in documents in 1157, when it was held by Westminster Abbey. In 1251 the advowson was transferred to the lord of the manor, who held it until around 1750. After this date the rectors seem to have presented themselves. In 1942 the advowson was transferred to the Bishop of London. The same church served the whole parish until 1949 when part of the parish was transferred to Littleton. The church was constructed in 1614, replacing an earlier building which had fallen into ruin.
Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 1-12.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Nicholas, Shepperton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, and banns of marriage; preachers' books; Churchwardens' financial accounts; Vestry minutes and papers relating to parochial charities.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
DRO/086/001-016: Parish Registers; DRO/086/017-027: Other Parish Records.
Conditions governing access:
Files DRO/086/001-016 are not available for consultation, please use microfilm.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, 28 February 1992.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.