Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/016
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HOLY TRINITY, HOUNSLOW: HIGH STREET, HOUNSLOW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.48 linear metres (75 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Trinity, Hounslow | Church of England
The parish of Holy Trinity, Hounslow, was originally a chapel belonging to a friary at Hounslow. After the Reformation the ownership of the chapel passed to the manor-house but a living was endowed and permission was given for the chapel to be used by those parishioners of Isleworth and Heston who lived in Hounslow, which at that date was divided between those parishes rather than being a separate parish. The chapel itself was situated in Heston parish, and drew staff from both Isleworth and Heston parishes. By the 18th century a charity school was closely connected with the chapel, which was also used for baptisms and marriages of Hounslow residents.
In 1816 the vicar of Heston bought the chapel and had it rebuilt on the same site. The new building was opened in 1829. In 1835 a parish was finally assigned to the chapel, comprising Hounslow and parts of Hounslow Heath. The Bishop of London became the patron of the living.
From: 'Heston and Isleworth: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 122-129. Available online.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Hounslow, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, services and confirmation; minutes of the Parochial Church Council; Vestry meeting minutes; and School Committee minute book.
Also The 800 Years Story of The Priory and Church of the Holy Trinity, Hounslow, by G Eglington Bate, Helen Evans and Brian Grumbridge, 2010.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in 4 sub-fonds as follows: A: Incumbent; C: Parish Administration; G: Vestry; H: School.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
From the catalogue, it will be seen that only one register has been deposited for the period before 1836. It is known however that as late as 1924 a second register existed covering the years 1742 to 1836 (see A History of The Priory and Church of the Holy Trinity, Hounslow, by G.E. Bate, 1924). This register contained baptisms, 1742-1836 with many gaps, some burials to 1821, and marriages to 1753. Middlesex Parish Registers - marriages, Volume IV, edited by Phillimore, 1912, refers to a local legend concerning a Hardwick marriage register, 1754-1812, which is said to have been burned by a Clerk of the parish. It seems more probable, in view of the chapelry's uncertain status, that marriages were no longer solemnized in the chapel after the Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriages, 1753 (26 Geo.II. c.32).
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in April 1966.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.