Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/009
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT DUNSTAN, CRANFORD SAINT JOHN: HOUNSLOW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.9 linear metres (102 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Dunstan, Cranford | Church of England
Cranford parish covered around 737 acres, surrounded by the Crane river, Hounslow Heath and the Bath Road. In 1930 the civil parish became part of the urban district of Hayes and Harlington. The Cranford Vestry appears to have been a small body, usually attended by 3 to 5 persons and meeting twice a year. Their major concerns were rates, poor relief and the election of parish officers, including churchwardens, an overseer, surveyors and a constable. A small workhouse was constructed in 1776. A parish council was formed in 1895 and was largely concerned with election of parish officers and the disposal of sewage.
A priest is first mentioned at Cranford in 1086. The advowson was held by the Knights Templars and the Hospitallers, and subsequently by the king. The church of Saint Dunstan is small; the chancel and tower date from the 15th century, while the nave was destroyed by fire in 1710 and rebuilt in 1716. Restorations were carried out in 1895.
Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962). Available online.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Parish of St Dunstan, Cranford, including registers of baptisms, banns, marriages and burials; correspondence; papers relating to tithes and endowments; Churchwardens' accounts, correspondence and papers relating to the maintenance of the church; Vestry meetings minutes; papers relating to parish charities including accounts and correspondence; School Managers minute books; historical notes relating to Cranford; and maps of the parish.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in 7 sub-fonds:
H: Maps and Plans.
Conditions governing access:
Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were listed at the church by the Middlesex County Record Office in July 1963 and transferred to the Archive in November 1963.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.