Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/174
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, TWICKENHAM: CHURCH STREET, RICHMOND UPON THAMES
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.63 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | St Mary the Virgin Church, Twickenham
Saint Mary the Virgin is an ancient parish within Hampton Deanery, which is within the Kensington Area of the Diocese of London. The following parishes were cleaved from the ancient parish: Holy Trinity, Twickenham Common (1842); Saint Stephen, East Twickenham (1875); Twickenham, All Saints (1914) and Twickenham, All Hallows (1939). The parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, Whitton, was also created from Saint Mary's in 1862. Saint Augustine of Canterbury, Whitton, was created as a London Diocesan Home Mission church in 1935, within the parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, and became a separate parish in 1958.
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin was rebuilt in 1714-15 by John James, who was one of the surveyors to Queen Anne's Fifty New Churches project. Its structure is of red brick with Tuscan pilasters surmounted by a pediments. There is an early 16th century bell, three from the 17th century and four from the 18th century. The church was enlarged again in 1754. There are many original fittings including the gallery fronts and reredos and also monuments: a mediaeval monument brass of 1443 to Richard Burton, the King's chief cook. There is a monument to Alexander Pope and his parent (Pope and his mother are buried here).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Twickenham. This collection includes the parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (1538 - 1960); Churchwardens' accounts (1605/6 - 1848); Vestry meeting minute books (1618 - 1901) and Overseers' of the Poor accounts (1663 - 1679). Of particular note are: the Book of Briefs (1708 - 1760), which also includes a list of bonds, surrender certificates and indentures (DRO/174/B/02/001) and the survey of land-holding or real estates in the parish, made in 1661, which appears in the Churchwardens' account book (DRO/174/B/01/003).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
DRO/174/A: Incumbent; DRO/174/B: Churchwardens; DRO/174/C: Vestry; DRO/174/D: Overseers of the Poor.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in March 2007.
For more records of the parish overseers of the poor see reference ACC/0535.
The following parish collections are held at the London Metropolitan Archives: Holy Trinity, Twickenham: The Green, Twickenham Common, Richmond upon Thames (ref DRO/150) and Saint Stephen, East Twickenham: Richmond Road, Richmond upon Thames (ref DRO/090).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.