Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/107
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH, BARNET: SAINT ALBANS ROAD, BARNET, HERTFORDSHIRE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.35 linear metres (195 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Barnet | Church of England
Christ Church was opened as a chapel of ease to Saint Giles, South Mimms in 1845. It was built principally at the cost of Captain Trotter of Dyrham Park, who purchased part of Four Acre field from George Byng of Wrotham Park in 1844. He first erected a minister's house and a school in which services were held. In 1852 the church was consecrated and in 1853 a conventional district was assigned to it. An independent parish was created in 1884. The church, a flint building with stone dressings, was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Early English style. It has undergone various alterations over the years. The Pennefather Memorial Hall (named for Revd William Pennefather, the second incumbent) was erected in 1907.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Christ Church, Barnet, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, and confirmations; registers of church services; working papers of the incumbent; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; financial records; papers of the Sunday School; magazines, publications, newspaper cuttings, historical notes and photographs; papers relating to tithes, glebes and terriers; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings and fittings, including faculties, correspondence, plans, specifications and architect's reports; and plans of the churchyard.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series and (where appropriate) sub-series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in January 1996, with further accessions in September 1996, June 1998, August 1999, and September 2003.
The remainder of the records are in the care of the incumbent. For Saint Giles, South Mimms see DRO/005.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.