Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/014
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, GREAT STANMORE: CHURCH ROAD, HARROW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 9.8 linear metres (490 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Evangelist, Stanmore | Church of England
In 1841 the parish of Great Stanmore was 1,441 acres in size, bounded to the north by Bushey Heath, to the east by the border of Hertfordshire, and to the south and west by Harrow.
A parish clerk was appointed from 1508 while churchwardens were first mentioned in 1580. The Vestry met on average 3 or 4 times a year, usually in the Queen's Head public house but subsequently at the church, workhouse or schoolroom. Parish officials appointed by the Vestry included overseers of the poor, surveyors of highways, a beadle, organist and sexton. The Vestry regulated the parish charities and provided poor relief in the provision of money, clothes, food and coal, management of two parish houses and the workhouse, and the provision of a medical officer and free vaccinations. The Vestry also appointed night watchmen and purchased fire-engines.
The advowson of the parish church was held by the abbot of Saint Albans in 1119. After the Reformation it passed to the owners of the manor until 1742 when the advowson was left to trustees and thus separated from the manor. Glebe lands attached to the living measured 32 acres in 1680, but this was steadily reduced, measuring 2 acres in 1940.
From around 1300 until 1632 the parish church stood on what became the corner of Old Church Lane and Wolverton Road. In 1632 a new church was constructed and dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist. This church became too small and its ruins stand in the churchyard of its replacement, built in 1849.
Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 102-107. Available online.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Parish of St John the Evangelist, Stanmore, including registers of baptisms, confirmations, banns of marriage, marriages, and burials; papers relating to the consecration of the new church; papers relating to tithes; Churchwardens' records including accounts, endowments and papers relating to the maintenance of the church, church fabric and churchyard; Vestry meeting orders and minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes, reports and accounts; minutes and papers of various church committees; papers of the Overseers of the Poor including accounts, settlement orders, and apprenticeship orders; accounts of the Surveyors of the Highways; papers of church societies including the choir, Cricket Clubs, Church Lad's Brigade, Knitting Guild, Mother's Union, Friends of the Parish Church of St John and Saint John's Fellowship, Women's Fellowship and Junior Church; papers of various parish charities; papers relating to the National School; Great Stanmore Enclosure award and map; drawings, prints and photographs; parish magazines; and printed items including history and orders of service.
Covering dates of parish registers: Christenings 1559-1911; Marriages 1599-1989; Burials 1599-1934.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in 16 sections: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Vestry; D: Parochial Church Council; E: Church Committees; F: Overseers of the Poor; G: Surveyors of the Highways; H: Societies and Organisations; J: Charities; K: School; L: Miscellaneous; M: Maps and Plans; N: Little Common Mission Room; O: Drawings, Prints and Photographs; P: Parish Magazines; Q: Printed Material.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 2018.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Greater London Record Office (Middlesex Records) in October 1965; with additional deposits in 2000 and 2017.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010, updated August 2018.