Reference code(s): GB 0074 P72/JSG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JAMES THE GREAT, BETHNAL GREEN: BETHNAL GREEN ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.68 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James the Great, Bethnal Green | Church of England
The church of Saint James the Great was constructed between 1840 and 1844; designed by E. Blore in an Early English style. A district was assigned in 1844. Incumbent Edward Coke offered marriages for the fee of 7 pence, causing rowdy scenes as young couples got married in batches. He also raised many funds, founded a dispensary, a visiting society and a Sunday School. In 1951 the parish was united with Saint Jude (P72/JUD), and in 1969 with Saint Matthew (P72/MTW) and Saint Peter (P72/PET) in a team ministry. In 1984 Saint James the Great with Saint Jude united with Saint Matthew. The church was converted for residential use.
From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint James the Great, Bethnal Green, including records of registers of baptisms, marriages and banns of marriages; church services registers; financial accounts; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; parish magazines; photographs; papers relating to the parish school; papers relating to the building including faculties, inventories and plans; and histories of the parish.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1963 and 1983.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.