Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/033
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LAURENCE, COWLEY: CHURCH ROAD, HILLINGDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.8 linear metres (20 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of Saint Laurence, Cowley | Church of England
It is presumed that the church at Cowley was founded by Westminster Abbey, which held the manor of Cowley. The advowson therefore descended with the manor until 1924 when it was granted to the Bishop of London. The parish served the same area from the 12th century until 1865 when parts of the parish became part of the new parish of Saint Andrew, Hillingdon. In 1884 an area of Hillingdon was transferred to Cowley parish. The church of Saint Laurence dates in part to the 12th century, with extensions of 1780.
From: 'Cowley: Church', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 175-176. Available online.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Laurence, Cowley, comprising registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; and financial accounts of parish charities.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in 2 sub-fonds:- A: Incumbent and D: Charities.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in January 1977.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.