Reference code(s): GB 0074 P72/MTS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MATTHIAS, BETHNAL GREEN: CHESHIRE STREET, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.44 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthias, Bethnal Green | Church of England
The church of Saint Matthias was constructed between 1846 and 1848, designed by T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon in a Romanesque style. In 1844 a district was assigned from part of the parish of Saint Matthew. In the 1850s the church was active in missionary work, holding classes and lectures and supporting a provident society and library. The parish was united with Saint Matthew (P72/MTW) in 1954 and the church was demolished.
From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Matthias, Bethnal Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, banns, preachers and church services.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1975 with a further accession in 1985.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.