Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0545
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY HARMONDSWORTH: HILLINGDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Harmondsworth
Saint Mary's oldest part is 12th century and the church was largely remodelled in the 13th century. Its octagonal font dates to c.1200. Other parts of the church date from the 14th, 15th, 16th and 19th century. It was extensively restored in 1862-3. St Mary's contains the tomb of Richard Cox (d.1845), a local brewer who was responsible for perfecting Cox's Orange Pippin at Colnbrook in the adjoining parish. The church has a tower with a cupola. The doorway is Norman and the interior varies between 13th and 16th centuries. Some of the pews are 16th century. All the brasses were stolen at the time of the restoration in the mid 19th century.
Scope and content/abstract:
Banns book for the church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Harmondsworth, 1825-1848.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1954.
For other records of the church, see reference DRO/123.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March to April 2010.