Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/LEN2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LEONARD, FOSTER LANE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 19 production units.
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Leonard, Foster Lane, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Christchurch Newgate Street and Saint Leonard Foster Lane, and the former parish of Saint Nicholas Shambles:
The church of Saint Nicholas Shambles was built some time before 1196. It was demolished in 1547 and the parish dissolved. The parish of Christchurch Newgate Street (also known as Christchurch Greyfriars) was formed in the same year to replace the parish of Saint Nicholas Shambles and also that of Saint Ewin. Very little is known about the parish of Saint Ewin, and no records are known to have survived.
The church of the former monastery of the Friars Minor, or Grey Friars, became the parish church of the new parish of Christchurch Newgate Street. The first church built on the site in 1225 was for the Friars, but it was rebuilt by 1348. In turn this was destroyed by the Great Fire and was rebuilt by Wren in 1687-1704. Apart from the steeple this church was destroyed in the Blitz. The steeple tower and vestry have been restored and the rest of the site turned into a garden. The church of Saint Leonard Foster Lane was destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt and in 1670 the parish was united to Christchurch Newgate Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Leonard, Foster Lane, City of London, including Vestry minute book; Overseers' book of receipts and payments; poor rates collectors' monthly statements; and poor rate assessment books.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P69/LEN2/B: Vestry and Parish Officers; P69/LEN2/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The most recent deposits for each parish are as follows: Christchurch Newgate Street, 2006; St. Leonard Foster Lane, 1960. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also Christ Church, Newgate Street (P69/CTC).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.