Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/GIS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT GILES CRIPPLEGATE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 53.12 linear metres (1208 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Giles Cripplegate, City of London | Church of England
The church of Saint Giles Cripplegate, Fore Street, was founded in the 11th century. It suffered extensive fire damage in 1545 and was rebuilt. It survived the Great Fire, but during the Second World War, it was it was bombed and burnt twice, and was subsequently rebuilt in 1952-60. In 1954, the united parishes of Saint Alphage London Wall and Saint Mary Aldermanbury were united to the parish of Saint Giles Cripplegate.
Records of the Metropolitan Dispensary, Fore Street: The Metropolitan Dispensary and Charitable Fund was established in 1779 for the relief of the sick poor. It also gave maternity assistance to poor married women in their own homes. The dispensary was closed in 1920. Its assets were transferred to the Cripplegate Foundation, to whose archive these minutes now belong.
Records of the Cripplegate Church Foundation: The Cripplegate Church Foundation was founded in 1892 for the upkeep of the fabric of Saint Giles' church. The trustees met initially at Quest House in Fore Street, but from around 1897 meetings were held at the Cripplegate Institute.
Records of the Cripplegate Foundation: The Cripplegate Foundation was established in 1891 to administer the charities of Saint Giles Cripplegate and to establish and maintain the Cripplegate Institute, chiefly for use as a reading room and library.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Giles Cripplegate, Fore Street, City of London. The main archive dates from the 17th century, but there are also parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials) from 1561 and estate records from 1553. The archive includes estate and charity material which relates jointly to Saint Giles and Saint Luke Old Street. Saint Luke was established in 1733 from the Middlesex part of St Giles.
Records of the Metropolitan Dispensary, Fore Street: The records comprise minutes of the managing committee, 1833-1924; ledger, 1854-88; and draft petitions and notes, 1854, [1857?].
Records of the Cripplegate Church Foundation: The records comprise minutes 1892-1959 and financial records 1892-1966. Further material relating to the Foundation may be found amongst other parish records: see Ms 25026-7 for meeting papers, 1945-53, and accounts authorised for payment, 1942-62; and Ms 6048/12 for minutes of joint meetings of the vestry and the Cripplegate Church Foundation, 1963-5.
Records of the Cripplegate Foundation: The records comprise minutes 1891-1954 and printed particulars of the constitution of various parish charities with list of meetings 1951-52.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of the parish of St Giles Cripplegate have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1922. The most recent deposit was in 1992. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Mother church: united with daughter churches, St Alphage London Wall (P69/ALP), St Mary Aldermanbury (P69/MRY2). For the parish of Saint Luke, Old Street, see P76/LUK. Further material relating to the Cripplegate Foundation such as annual reports may be found in the Printed Books section of Guildhall Library. Churchwardens' accounts 1570-80 and 1596-1607 are held at the British Library.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.